
So it's been a little over a week since I last posted. I'm also SMACK in the middle of Hell week for my production of Little Shop of Horrors. Okay--so it's tech week, but it's widely known as Hell week...and for a good reason. Running the show nightly with full music, mics, props, etc with the countdown to opening...well, it can get a little chaotic.
On one hand I'm getting a workout every night from the 75 lb giant plant head we have to move on and off stage each night...among other props, and I'm sweating buckets from it. On the other hand, I have no time to eat anything during the rehearsals (and rarely remember to take food with me to eat before) and so I'm ravenous when I get home. Overall I guess I haven't been too bad--mostly tired. But last night I did have chicken fingers & fries at the diner...and more than my fair share of brownies which were made when I got home...So this unplanned & tired eating pattern could quickly spiral out of control if I don't take action.
I won't have time to weigh in at all until maybe Friday or Saturday. And I am not really sure what the results will be--but even if I gain or stay the same, at least I'm tracking food & making (mostly) conscious decisions about what I eat.
Well for week one, there are a few things I'm proud of...
-Chewing gum. This may sound dumb, but I have turned to this solution once again to satisfy both my sweet tooth following a savory meal, and my crunch craving when I'm stressed. I know gum doesn't crunch. But the movement of the chewing helps. The first few days I did this and didn't go for dessert after a meal. Even today after lunch I was staring at the office candy jar & Entemann's cake and just as I was about to reach for it, I remembered the gum and had that instead.
-Choosing better sides. Day 1 I had a baked potato instead of fries at Wendy's. Friday I chose a side salad over fries with a sandwich at dinner. Sunday I nixed my side of sausage at brunch with my chocolate chip whole wheat pancakes & opted for my protein with an egg.
-Hydrating. I am so bad at remembering to drink water during the day. But I have been trying to make the extra effort to hydrate--especially with my long days and lack of sleep.
So all in all it hasn't been a perfect first week, but it's progress.
I would love your feedback: How do you handle times when you simply have too much going on to remember to eat healthy? Do you pay attention to the small things and recognize them as accomplishments?
Until next time
No comments:
Post a Comment