
Each year in December, Weight Watchers releases an updated version of their program to modify based on latest scientific research the most effective ways to lose weight and be healthy. Last year was the big Points Plus overhaul, but this December was just a few minor tweaks and a new look.
One of the changes they made though was to help with getting started and they introduced the PowerStart method. Three weeks of plans to help you kickstart your program, or refresh your focus and motivation if you have been doing the program. They work on three concepts which cycle from week to week and they invite members to use these at any time.
They also provide a weekly planner with a shopping list and meals which you can use if you don't know what to plan to eat. This is a great idea since I never know where to start with planning my meals for the week.
Topic One is Power Spaces.
They ask you to evaluate your environments which you spend time in and how to maximize it to help you be successful in weight loss.
It's all about removing items from your environment (home, car, work, etc...) which are bad food options, and replacing them with healthy options. By removing the obstacles in your way, you are setting yourself up for success.
They started us by asking us to figure out what environments we struggle in when it comes to making good food choices. Is it the workplace where the office snack machine calls out your name 8 hours a day? Or is it your home cupboard where leftover Halloween candy haunts you? What can you do to change that? Either remove the temptation--or arm yourself with better alternatives--either healthier food options or something to do instead of eat.
I've done this in the past...gotten rid of food which I had bought out of emotion or craving but I knew was bad for me. A few times I've just eaten it all so it was gone...but other times I've actually thrown it out. It's difficult, but it had to be done.
More often I've gone out and stocked up on health options...fruit & veggies, 94% fat free popcorn...etc. And while it's there its been helpful, but if I don't continue to get it, I end up returning to making bad choices.
It really is all a matter of having a plan though--if you address your weaknesses and come up with an alternative, you can be successful. It won't happen overnight but if you are persistent, it will happen.
A while ago, I made the decision that I wanted to combat my nighttime boredom eating in front of the television. There were a few things I tried, which worked on short term levels
- Finding something else to do while watching TV: I tried knitting and crocheting, as well as doing puzzles. Kept my hands busy and my mind going while I watched TV
- Healthy snacks: Popcorn, fruit, tea, portioned desserts were all things I supplied myself with knowing they were something that weren't high in points and it was something sweet (or salty) and delicious and something to look forward to.
- Going out. If all else fails, don't be home watching TV. I took various classes, went out with friends, or went for a walk so I wasn't wasting away in front of the TV.
It's time to revisit some of these to help my environment stay a healthy one.
What are some of the things you do in order to create a healthy environment for yourself to overcome the obstacles which stand in your way? What are your weaknesses? What can you do to change them?
Until next time
No comments:
Post a Comment