Pages

Saturday, September 21, 2013

My not so routine Routines


I am a girl of habits. I am not one of routines.

I know they can be used interchangeably at times, but they are not the same thing.

For one thing, habits usually have a negative connotation. We are either trying to break bad habits, or form new habits. I have my long list of bad habits, especially when it comes to eating.

Confession: My addition to Cheetos is so out of hand it should be Illegal. It shall now be called Cheetos-gate
Confession: I have a gym membership to a great gym for next to nothing that I never use.
Confession: My fridge is currently stocked with beer, cheese, chocolate and some old expired food which I'm pretty sure has started a new ecosystem in its container.

These are habits. Bad habits.

Routines on the other hand are a lifestyle. Getting up in the morning and stretching. Taking a post-lunch walk. Passing on the office treat because you are looking forward to the dessert you were planning that night. This is what the Weight Watchers 360 plan calls Power Start - Routines. It's a way for us to set up a system, building the tools and the (yes) habits to be successful in our weight loss journey.


My life really is devoid of any routine other than the basics. I never have a regular schedule during the day, and in the evenings, there are weeks when I am not home before midnight any night. It's tough to even attempt to fit a routine into my life, but that's what needs to happen if this is going to work.

The WW website and app let you choose up to three routines to focus on. The one they have chosen for the month is "Know what you're having for Lunch"
Planning always was a sore point for me because it was never a part of my routine. Ever. So this is definitely one I have to work on. Lunch is a good meal to plan because it's usually at a time of the day I can control...versus breakfast which I usually skip...or dinner which often is either takeout or rushed after my rehearsal late at night.

I have also chosen "Eat Fruits or vegetables with every meal or snack" which should be a given, but something I need to work on...and "Ask Yourself: Is this worth the points values?" which...well if you've ever read any of my blog posts is something I always struggle with (hence Cheetos-gate).

So these are things I am keeping on my daily to do list with my progress and can check them off as I do them.

Of course it always gets more difficult as life gets complicated, but these three things should be easy enough to focus on and get under control. And they are three key components to my own obstacles and success.

What do you think? What are your routines that you established and stuck with? Or what is a routine you would be willing to try to change your outcome?

Until next time

No comments: