So staring today, I thought I'd start a weekly feature to highlight some of the foods I've been incorporating into my daily meals and why they're so great.
Today's Superfood: Blueberries
Blueberries are packed with antioxidants and Vitamin C, high in fiber, and an excellent source of Manganese which aids in converting proteins, carbohydrates, and fats into energy.
Plus they're so pretty!
Did you know there is a blueberry council? http://www.blueberrycouncil.org/
Fun Fact: This year celebrates the 100th Anniversary of the First Commercial Crop of blueberries in the US. Elizabeth White of New Jersey was determined to grow a flourishing industry for cultivated blueberries and with the help of USDA botanist Frederick Coville, she went on to identify the desirable properties of blueberries and crossbreed the plants to create the blueberries we know and love today!
![]() |
| Elizabeth White |
But there's so much more you can do!!
Of course you can throw them in pancakes, make them into jams and syrups, and of course they're great in salads, pies and muffins.
But what about a Savory Blueberry Pizza?
Or how about Chicken thighs with Blueberry Sauce?
OMG I'm getting hungry...
I love the combination of sweet and savory for my taste buds; and the blueberry is the perfect fruit to experiment with! Burgers, steak, salmon, pork...all great choices to try adding blueberries to the recipe.
Do you have a favorite blueberry inspired recipe?
Share it in the comments!






No comments:
Post a Comment