Being plus sized most of my life has created a very specific self image for myself. I have come to terms with the fact that not only will I never be labeled as skinny (except maybe by my relatives who are telling me I'm losing too much weight), but I don't think I really want to be. I enjoy the fact that I'm curvy. I've come to like the fact that I do stand out in a crowd because I'm usually taller and bigger, but I am perfectly happy to flaunt my curves and play up my size -- especially as I've become healthier and more confident in how I look.Yes, I've had my moments like everyone where I felt ashamed of how I look or jealous of women who are thinner and can wear the smaller sizes, but as I've said I've come to terms with it, and my self-image has never really stopped me from doing anything I wanted to do (including skydiving!)
So now there is a new reality show on ABC called More to Love, a Bachelor-type show with plus sized contestants looking for love. I actually considered the possibility of auditioning when the casting call came through via my Lane Bryant emails which I still receive even though I am shrinking out of their sizes. However, the concept of the show made me a little wary of the portrayal of these fuller figured contestants and their lives and love. Although it was marketed to celebrate the average-sized American women size 14 and above, I felt it could possibly make a mockery of those who aren't your ideal television beauty.I watched an episode from Tuesday night and I don't really know what to make of it. On one hand it is nice to see women of all different shapes and sizes make their mark on television history-and there are some beautiful and interesting women contestants, but by having their own show, it still segments them from the rest of the TV population (especially the dating-reality tv population).
My biggest problem with this show is that the women are either over-emotional, super-insecure, and highly obsessive (in regards to their desire to be the match for this bachelor-Luke) or they are overly confident, catty, and super aggressive. The latter I guess is expected and it's what makes reality shows dramatically entertaining for the masses. However, the fact that the majority of
these women spend their camera-confessional time in tears because they are worried that their size, insecurities and inexperience are going to prevent them from allowing Luke to get to know them is just reinforcing the fact that people of larger sizes are unequal to those of smaller stature. There were only a couple of women who seemed truly comfortable in their skin and a little more grounded about the competition, and some of them even got kicked off already.Fellow blogger Sarah posted about the show and was also on the fence. She mentioned the fact that many of the women seem to be so into him because he is paying even the slightest bit of attention to them. I bet the producers are getting a kick out of this.
And to watch the see-sawing of emotions that some of these women are seen with on camera is highly unsettling. One minute they're crying that they're too large for anyone to love them, telling us about how they've been cheated on because of their size or simply ignored because of their size and how they're desperately in love with Luke but will be crushed if he doesn't pay attention to them, and the next minute they're giddy because he talked to them or complimented them etc. and are convinced they're going to win the show and marry him because they're perfect for each other. All this after two days of knowing him.
So of course because it's somewhat intriguing I will continue to watch at least a few more episodes, but I still have mixed feelings about the show.
Has anyone else watched it? What are your thoughts?
Until next time
No comments:
Post a Comment