Pages

Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Tuesday ramblings & goals

For the record I began writing yesterday's post in a humorous light and it turned out a little more self-evaluating and criticizing than I had meant it, but it's still one aspect of the weight loss process which I felt worth mentioning. Thanks for the comments though. I certainly do feel that I am the same person inside, if anything I feel I am stronger and more confident...I just truly enjoy the sight of the new me :)

Well last night's weigh in wasn't all that surprising. With a 1.4 lb gain, I am back to 49 lbs. I did okay this week, but I knew that 3.8 lb loss was too good to be true. However, I can totally do 1lb this week if I put my mind to it. And with the gorgeous (if somewhat cool) weather, there's no reason not to take my evening runs seriously.

I added a couple of goals to my list on the right. One is a biggie-Combat useless eating. That includes the following: nighttime snacking, boredom eating, un-portioned snacking, eating without being hungry, finishing food without wanting it...and the list goes on.

Obviously this is a pretty big feat because it's one of my worst habits, and it's something that requires some major commitment, focus, discipline and self-awareness. And if it were so easy, I wouldn't have written about it oh so many times. But as I get closer to my goal weight, I am starting to look more not just at what I eat, but how and why I eat. I am perfectly capable now to eat half a portion at a restaurant without wanting the rest, drinking enough water, avoiding creamy or fried foods, getting in my healthy guidelines of fruits, veggies, whole grains, etc. But it's those old eating habits that keep getting in the way.

The other goals I added are really just for fun--and they're activities that either I've never been able to do or haven't been able to do in ages. I want to do a handstand, and a cartwheel. And I want to do them well. Bringing out my inner child is very important to me, and I think a sense of accomplishment for having done something that I wouldn't even have dared to do 50 lbs heavier. A slight sense of fear of actually doing these activities makes it all the more worthwhile and exhilarating. I also want to teach myself how to hula hoop and I want to be able to do one of those 'hop over the fence/side of a convertible' things (like they do in the movies). But I'll get around to those. Oh--and swing dancing. Maybe I should add a separate section for "Feats of Strength" goals...

September is a fresh start to a new season, and I have a good feeling that it will be a good time for my own fresh start.

Until next time

3 comments:

Carlos said...

you totally need a feats of strength section!

Bare It All said...

I love the additions to your list. I once did handstands (trying to hold them) for about 20 minutes with a friend...when I got up I could hardly move my arms. It is a great workout!!! :)

Rebecca said...

wow.. your transformation is amazing and thanks for the comment!

must read your archives now!