Pages

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

From high to low

Last week I was all about trying new things.

This week I'm all about comfort. I had a strange and mercurial weekend and now I'm craving comfort. It's cold and I want to be warm, it's grey and I want it to be sunny. I have a lot to do and all I want to do is be home and sleep. (Apparently it's also opposite week.)

Quick update: Weigh in this week was a gain--another 3 lb gain to be exact. I'm not happy about it, but it's not entirely a surprise. I don't think it's permanent. For one, I think I'm not drinking enough water. Second, I actually had a ton of exercise this weekend--a lot of walking, running, and dancing. But all of that came at the end of the week and because I wasn't drinking enough water, I figure it had a negative effect on the scale. And third, I went to a wedding on Sunday which I didn't really overdo anything, but the sheer fact is I had minimal control over what I was being served--just pick and choose carefully. Other factors--winter clothing (I was cold all day & had on more layers than normal) and a heavier lunch than I usually have on Mondays. Yes, these may be excuses but a 3 lb gain is a lot in one week, and I was pretty on track for the most part, so I'm attributing it to other factors. We'll see what the scale says next week.

Quinoa update: It was really good & really easy. I cooked the Quinoa plain with just water & salt, then combined it with baby spinach, broiled shitake mushrooms (marinated in oil & vinegar), feta cheese, and I added some dried cranberries for some more flavor. The quinoa was my favorite part--the rest of the salad was lacking something. But it was easy, and I suppose I would make it again, maybe add a bit more.

Swing update: Went again to Swing class last night. I enjoyed it more--there were two HS kids there who were learning & they seemed to liven it up a little more. When I switched to have him as a partner, it was more energetic & I actually felt like I was swinging. I'm going to miss next Monday because of my play rehearsal, but I definitely want to go back. They seem to run in 4 week cycles, so I hope they continue the class. I hope they get more people for the class (men!) and a slightly younger crowd.

Plan update: I think this next couple weeks is going to be a struggle for me--my show opens up next Thursday and whenever this happens, I end up having no time to think about anything, no time to work out, no time to plan meals, etc. Not to say I'm not going to try, but it becomes that much harder when I'm running straight from work to rehearsal & then I'm exhausted to do anything when I get home. So I'll be happy just to maintain through the week after the show.

So this week I'm going to stick to being comfortable, and just sticking to routine. I just need to get through this next two weeks. Although maybe I'll try some low-point versions of comfort food like mac & cheese or something. The only thing I have to watch out for is tomorrow night going out to eat w/friends, and watching that those comfort foods don't get too comfortable.

And then maybe after all of this my lows will only be showing on the scale.

Until next time.

2 comments:

Rebecca said...

love your positive attitude about the gain!

and break a leg on opening night!!

Ashley said...

Hey Julia! Long time no comment. I hope you are rocking that awesome new haricut.

I loved the Seattle pics!

I'm struggling right now too- up and down with my weight. We really need to get it in gear.

Lots of love,
Ashley