I'm exhausted. Seriously like may pass out at any given moment exhausted. It's a combination of lack of sleep (though I've been getting at least 6 hours a night) and body weariness.
I did a morning workout for the third day in a row today, though I didn't make it to the gym. I couldn't drag myself out of bed early enough that I would have gotten a good workout if I drove to the gym and came back, and I was not in any state to put together a gym bag to shower there.
I did however...eventually...throw on my workout gear & do a Biggest Loser workout strength routine (about 20 minutes), and then I went for a run. And what a run it was. It was absolutely freezing, but sunny. And I walked for about five minutes before I started my run. I felt under-dressed for the temps though I had on three layers of shirts, plus hat & gloves, but once I started running I completely forgot about the cold, other than seeing my breath streaming out at every exhale.
I ran (okay, jogged) a route that I used to do when I was doing the Couch to 5k training last winter. Brisk walk down Broadway, start running at the elementary school, turn around at the college, run back, slow to a brisk walk at the elementary school. It's about 2 miles, 1.5 running span. Even when I was running on a regular basis, and in warm weather I always needed to slow it down to a walk at least a couple of times before I got to the college to turn around, and by the time I made my way back, I always was struggling to breathe and had a stitch in my side.
Today, in the 20something degree temps, I ran without stopping to the college, and even did an extra loop into the campus so I didn't physically stop to turn around, and about 1/4 way back before needing a break to slow to a brisk walk. I think I slowed down only twice more once for a hill), and was able to finish further than I normally do before I did my cool down walk.
Can it be true then? I actually AM getting stronger? I actually am getting more FIT? I might actually someday call myself an...athlete? A runner? Heaven help us all.
I'm surprised I was able to do it. Not that it was easy--I was definitely struggling at the end. But I've never ever EVER been able to jog that long without stopping--ESPECIALLY outdoors. Treadmills are different. They move you. Not that I am very good on a treadmill either, but these days, I'm able to jog my 20 minute routine at the gym. This is real pavement pounding running.
Spontaneous Moment of Stupidity here
Though it may have something to do with something stupid that I did yesterday. And by stupid I mean exciting and great and brave...but stupid. I signed up for two races. Next month, a 5k called the Freezer Five (Feb 7th), and in May, the mother of all ridiculous ideas...a 1/2 marathon. In Pittsburgh. I signed up, I paid. Signed, sealed, delivered...I'm running. What in heaven's name was I thinking? But I am pumped.
I think the 5k is definitely doable, even if I have less than a month to train, I'm well on my way. Just have to build up my endurance for the cold and the distance. That will be fun.
It's the 1/2 marathon I'm scratching my head about. 13.1 miles. WTF??? My friend who lives in Pittsburgh is doing the marathon with a group of friends. I figured...hey, why not right? It'll give me something to train & look forward to! How am I ever going to be able to run 13.1 miles??? Oh, and I did sign up to run the race, as opposed to most of the other girls who signed up to walk it. Yeah. Well, it's definitely a challenge. It may be the challenge I need to keep me motivated. My WW leader is going to get a kick out of this.
Anyway--I'm excited and scared and every emotion in between.
But at the moment I'm still exhausted. At least I dont' have to go to the gym tonight! Early to bed for this chickie.
Until next time
2 comments:
your gutsy lady!
i've been contemplating whether or not to do one for this fall! Ill be coming off of a 2 week vacation which is why I've been hestitant... so glad your morning routine has been working. I really need to start that next week for days I have class.
Hey lady! Look at you go.. you've got me all pumped and motivated. Keep it up, runner!
Post a Comment