Pages

Monday, February 23, 2009

Tool for Living #5 Revisited

A February Flatlining Fiasco...
So at the beginning of the month I was determined to make February my "no flatlining" month regarding my slow decline on the weight-loss chart.

I was there. I was motivated. I was exercising like a fiend. I was enjoying every minute of it.

And then I lost it. And I am disappointed with myself. Two weeks of lackadaisical, unmotivated, undisciplined failure. I know I shouldn't consider it a failure, that it is just a bump in the road, but I feel like I am starting to slowly undo all my progress. I know this is mostly the PMS talking, but I feel huge, I feel flabby, and I feel like I can't get in control of my eating. It seemed that everything I did this week resulted in going over points to the point where I stopped tracking and just let it happen. I have never let that happen before. I have always curbed what I was eating at some point--or would at least try to supplement it with exercise. I did none of that this week. But I need to change that. I don't know if I"m ready--but I need to make this happen.

So my goal this week is to get that back--no matter what it takes. I haven't done one of the Tools for Living motivating strategies lately, so I thought I would re-visit this today. I'm going with one I've done before, but it doesn't hurt to do a refresher.

Motivating Strategy/3D Motivation
1. Imagine yourself having already achieved your goals, and enjoying them
I'm fit. I'm running. Good lord I'm running. I'm running for miles on the Croton Aqueduct trail! I never thought I'd be able to run on this! I no longer feel like I can't breathe after a few minutes. I no longer feel the strain in my muscles as I take another step, and then another, and then another. I am sweaty. I am gross. But I feel fantastic. My iPod plays upbeat tunes that have become my personal running soundtrack, keeping me in the zone. I barely even realize that there are other people on the trail, and certainly have stopped comparing their progress to mine or trying to make it seem like I'm working harder when I see them come into view. I am in my own running world, enjoying nature, enjoying the sunlight and the breeze that filters through the trees. I have even stopped freaking out when I see deer grazing on the side of the trail. I am one with nature. And this is all because I kept going and didn't give up when the going got tough.

2. Get in touch with the other good feelings that come from having achieved your goals.
To be healthy. To be proud of my accomplishments. To feel unstoppable. To have the endurance and the energy to not restrict myself. Not wondering what others think. Walking down the street knowing I look good, but not even thinking about that because knowing I feel good is what's more important. To be an inspiration to others.

3. Remain in touch with these feelings as you get back to doing the things you need to do to reach your goal.
Yep. That's the plan.

Until next time

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I love how you imagine your accomplishments... it sounds very inspiring.

Hang in there! I've been there before too so I know how you feel, but you'll pick yourself up and get back to it!