Pages

Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Weigh-in update & Happiness rambling.

Weigh in was good--2.8 lbs (thank goodness some of that 8 lb gain is gone...). I'm happy but I've still got a ways to go considering at the beginning of September I was at 181 and now I'm at 186.

At our meeting we talked about emotional eating, which I don't consider to be one of my flaws, but in a way it is...I don't eat because I'm sad or angry. I eat out of boredom and happiness. Boredom I've discussed constantly. Eating out of happiness on the other hand is something we don't really consider emotional eating.

Holidays, birthdays, weddings, girls (or guys) night out, etc. These are all happy celebrations or occasions. And this is when my defenses go a little slack. It's the "oh, I love mom's coffee cake that she only makes once a year, I have to have a piece. Just one" But of course that one piece was after mom's penne vodka that she only makes for special occasions and the special cheese that she got from Seattle that she put out for appetizers, and the two (I'm being conservative) glasses of wine...etc.

Or going out with the girlfriends and only having drinks and appetizers as we sit and chat about the latest news and gossip. But those drinks (which again always end up being at least a couple) add up as do the appetizer. And then you're in the mood for dessert which you split, but still is big enough for six of you and there's only two or three...

Not that there's anything wrong with these outings, but if they're more than once every few weeks, these things add up. So with the holidays coming up (ugh), these special happy occasions suddenly are a happening a few times a month, or even per week.

So what do we do? Accept and move on? Plan for the inevitable eating by getting in extra exercise that day/week? Or limit your celebration eating? I guess some of these events are easier than others. I'm more likely to restrain myself at family events than with my friends. I don't know why really, but I'd rather gossip and giggle over food and drinks than water and salad.

At the meeting we talked about assessing hunger signals--when you're hungry vs. when you just want food to satiate an emotion; knowing when you're satisfied and when it's time to stop eating; and not letting yourself get so hungry and end up making poor food choices or binging. This is something I really haven't consciously worked on. Maybe it's time for me to pay attention to these hunger signals and question why I'm eating when I'm not hungry. Easier said than done when it comes to these "happy" eating occasions, but it's something worth trying.

On that note....time for dinner!

Until next time

2 comments:

Bare It All said...

Hmmmm...happiness eating. I so do that. I've NEVER even thought about that.

Congrats on the loss. I"m hoping for a good weigh in tomorrow!

Rebecca said...

I'm one of these peeps tooo...

there is nothing better than good conversation, cosmos, girlfriends and appetizers...

i'm stressing a tad about this holiday season but I'm just trying to focus on today and not tomorrow or even Thanksgiving forget about Christmas!