Pages

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Some realizations

So in the last couple of weeks or so, I've been trying to organize my life. Both professional and personal. I've always been a proponent of getting organized, but rarely have I been able to stay organized for long. Whether keeping a scheduled routine, keeping up with goals, or something as simple as keeping my clothes organized, I've always managed to start falling behind.

I guess as a part of now living with someone, I've had to reorganize my life & schedule once again, but this time I'm accountable to someone else. And lately I've been trying to use that to my advantage.

Last week I had a fantastic week of working out and a ridiculously horrible week of eating. I did manage to lose 1.4 lbs through it all, but I knew there is still plenty of work to be done.

With some inspiration from a fellow Fit Chick Megan, I worked out a schedule for my meals and my workouts, and I did it with my boyfriend and both of our calendars out. We knew which days we were having dinner out, we figured out what we could cook and then what I could take for lunch the next day--whether leftover or a simple lunch. We scheduled in my workouts. He even promised to come to the gym with me two mornings this week. So far we didn't make yesterday, but there's still tomorrow. Hey--this plan isn't completely fool proof...

I feel so much more in control of my life this week and it also makes me happy to have his support through the process. I felt it especially important to ask for his help because we're in this together and I knew it would be that much harder to make these changes & schedule if I didn't put it out there for him to know.

Realizing there are certain things that I can do to excel this process and WRITING THEM DOWN is important. Things such as keeping my activity level high and avoiding fried foods of any kind (I foolishly thought I had that under control...) Next week I think I'm going to start tracking my water intake too.

The other important realization I've been having over the past month is that I don't have a specific motivation anymore. And my motivation, I mean Why is this worth it to me? What is going to keep me going and remind me what I'm doing it for when I'm standing at the supermarket with a bag of chips in my basket or reaching for the 2nd helping of mac & cheese, or stealing french fries off my boyfriend's plate...why am I doing this? Why am I going through this weight loss journey? Is it to look better in skinny jeans? For my health? To reach fitness goals? To set an example for my future kids? I think it's a combination of all of those as well as to prove to myself that I CAN do it once and for all.

So this week, in addition to sticking to my schedule I laid out (which for the most part I have...) I want to put in writing WHAT DO I WANT out of this weight loss journey. What do I want to accomplish other than a number or a size? And then I want to keep some sort of reminder of that goal when I'm struggling or feeling down.

Share with us! What realizations have you had on your weight loss or fitness journey?

Until next time

No comments: