Okay--once again, I had a successful weigh-in on Monday, and only a small goal to accomplish this week, and it's now Friday & I feel like I am failing. Although my points haven't been too bad (though Tuesday was a bit over the top), and I have been getting in my lunchtime walks every day (but not my evening walks), I feel like Monday's weigh-in is going to be a disappointment.
Not that I'm giving up. I can't go for a walk tonight (well, maybe a short one, but it's hot & I have a date), but I certainly want to tomorrow. A nice long one in the morning because then I will be picnicking in the park with friends & wine & cheese & wine & food & wine...followed by more food & mojitos. I'm going to have to be careful because the picnic could easily get out of hand. Maybe I'll bring some food I can eat & not feel guilty about. That's a good idea.
I think for this I have to use one of the Tools for Living. This week I will use Mental Rehearsing, the act of practicing in your mind ahead of time, being in a challenging situation. According to WW it can be used to
- Develop healthy new behaviors
- Deal with situations you know will be difficult
- Visualize living at your weight goal
I will be at a picnic and will be presented with a lot of unhealthy food choices as well as an endless supply of wine which will be highly detrimental to my plan. I want to enjoy myself but also be very aware of what I'm eating and drinking and help myself stay on plan.
Second I have to imagine myself in the situation:
Where am I?
I am in Central Park at Turtle Pond, sitting on the lawn enjoying the summer with friends
What am I saying?
Oh, thank you, but I don't want any more wine. It's hot, I think I'll have some water. Can I have some more fruit? Would you like some of the [insert healthy food here] which I brought?
What am I doing?
I am having a glass of wine, followed by a bottle of water. I have some cheese & crackers as well as some fruit and/or veggies which I have brought, or some other healthy and filling summery fun dish which I have brought. I am getting up to play to get some exercise with a ball/frisbee/some other sport equipment. I am basking in the sunshine and soaking up healthy UV rays. At dinner following the park, I am choosing light and healthy meals, and will have one mojito so as not to deprive myself, but won't fall for the pitcher of rummy goodness.
How am I doing it?
With grace. And style. And skinny clothes so I can remember how far I've come and my goals I want to reach.
Third, rehearse the desired response:
No thank you, I'll have the water. Hmm, that fruit sure looks delicious. (Okay, that was a bit cheesy, but it helps)
Fourth, repeat until the event
I think two things that will help this along are bringing food that I can nosh on without feeling deprived, and water to drink rather than wine or other alcohol; and if I wear something that is very suitable for my fitter body so I can remember that I want to continue moving towards my goal.
I'll report back on the results!!
Until next time
No comments:
Post a Comment